Thursday, June 9
1:30 pm: Said goodbyes to the kids, checked-in at airport. Flying standby, so I wait at gate for a seat... and wait some more. Hmmm... they didn't call my name yet. Gates close, plane leaves. Uhhhh... the ticket agents didn't even say "sorry, you won't be on the flight today." Alrighty then... Garrett picks me up. Bags went to Washington without me.
You should've seen Cade's confused face. "You ride plane already, Mommy?" was the first thing he said. So I had to explain to him in 2 year old language that the plane didn't have a seat for me and left.
Text and contact WA friends that I didn't make the flight. Disappointed but hopeful for tomorrow.
Friday, June 10
1:30 pm: Say goodbyes again. Ever watch the old movie Groundhog's Day? Yah, starting to feel a little like that. This time, I waited 5 min at the gate, then they called me. Guess what... an open seat in 1st class. Alright Hawaiian Air- that made up for yesterday. :)
11:30 pm Washington time- arrive. Bags there waiting. Kyle and Trisha graciously pick me up and let me stay with them.
Saturday, June 11
8am: Leave Kyle and Trisha's house, drive to Tacoma to surprise my dear friend, Abbie. I had contacted Abbie's husband, Cyrus, a week before the trip to see if they were busy. We decided to keep it a surprise from her. I arrive at her house, knock on the door. Her face was priceless! Cyrus cooked us his special blueberry pancakes while Abbie and I caught up.
Abbie and I went through the UPS Masters of Teaching Program together. Then we were both hired at Federal Way High School, where we taught together for 4 years. We also carpooled from Tacoma for a year- before we bought our house in Fife. So, we spent a lot of time together. She has continued to, and always will be, a wonderful and special friend, despite the ocean between us!
10:30 am: Leave Abbie's house. Drive up to Seattle to pick up a special favor for Kendyll's birthday party. (Sorry, I'll show you more later- after the party this weekend!)
12:00 pm: Lunch with Heather and more Federal Way High School friends for a SURPRISE Baby shower for Amanda.
Jean, Amanda, Heather
These women played a HUGE role in my teaching career and life in Washington. When I was first hired at FWHS, I was placed in a 'House'. A House consisted of the four core subjects (math, english, history, and science) and we all taught the same students. The three of them were already really good friends and I thought I was going to be the outcast. But, that wasn't the case. They graciously took the "newby" under their wings (ha ha ha, sorry, no pun intended- our mascot was the Eagle) and demonstrated caring and passionate teaching. We grew to become very good friends. Their mentoring and friendships have helped me become the teacher and mother I am today.
When I was expecting Cade, Heather and Jean were always giving me wonderful advice and tips. Cade even went to the same daycare as Heather's kids. I would always laugh at Heather when she was going through funny potty training or tantrum events with her son, Owen. Fast-forward two years, and now Heather is the one laughing at me! :)
Amanda recently moved and is expecting a girl in September. We celebrated, caught up and spent the next couple of hours laughing and crying in the same old fashion we used to.
3:00 pm: Drive down to Puyallup to see the Luceros. I was able to meet baby Micah!
The growing Lucero kids! Yes, look at how tall Matt is!
5:00 pm: Half an hour to shop somewhere... so many places I want to go (IKEA, Target, Gap), but I decide to drive up to Trader Joes for some gifts.
7:00 pm: Graduation! I was able to see my former students graduate! It was so fun to see their faces when they realized it was me. When we moved two years ago, I had mentioned to a few students it would be neat to see them graduate. Fast-forward to a few weeks ago- my former principal emailed asking if I would be there. Begged and gave the puppy dog face to Garrett- and he said it was ok to go.
Sunday, June 12
10:30 am: Goodbye Washington! 1st class again- ok Hawaiian Air, you made up for the shopping and people I missed seeing.
1:30 pm Hawaii Time: Arrive home to see my babies! Cade was shocked to see me! The hugs and kisses that welcomed me home were priceless. :)
There you go... a 48 hour trip to WA. Such a blur. Who knows, maybe we'll do it again to go shopping! :)