Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Garrett's garden and Happy Boy's/Children's Day...

Garrett has done a very impressive job with our yard. I'm glad he has a green thumb, because mom and I don't! These pics were taken in early April, so many of the plants have grown quite a bit. I'll have to update my pics soon.
 
Ginger and dry taro

 
We think this is watermelon. He doesn't remember which seed he planted

 
Watermelon? Pumpkin? Again, not sure... but it's growing! 

 
String beans

 Winding tendrils!

 Saturday morning Garrett took Kendyll out to look at his plants and they came in with one bean. I thought that's all that had grown and was teasing him that we're going to starve if we have to rely on his "farming". He quickly ran out and came in with a nice amount to prove me wrong!
 
The kids had fun posing with their beans

 
Blueberries are growing, but the bush has been attacked by bugs! :(

 Strawberries on the deck. Garrett just bought one of those strawberry hangers- I'll have to get a picture soon.

His 2nd attempt at papaya. The first plants didn't survive the wind.

 
May 5th is Children's day (formerly Boy's day, but we're old school and still call it this)- Cade finally took a nice picture without fuss! It only took 4 years! 

 2011 and 2009
We didn't take one in 2010 because he was having a fit! Oh, look at how he's changed!

 Of course since brother had his happi coat on, sissy needed too also! Good thing because she didn't want a pic for Girl's Day in March.


We celebrate May Day in Hawaii, so for Cade's school they wore aloha shirts; most schools in the state will put on a program that showcases hula and other types of Polynesian dancing. Aunty Jocelyn brought over "cigar leis" that my grandma made- yep, she still sews the flowers on, one-by-one!